The ketogenic diet involves compiling a menu of foods that don’t contain carbohydrates. It can be difficult for beginners because until the body gets used to the new diet, it is possible to admit some unpleasant effects. Therefore, the keto diet menu for beginners has characteristics that help to switch to a healthy diet without stress. Our article will tell you what a keto diet is, how effective it is, and what products can be used to diversify the diet.
What Is The Keto Diet, And How Effective Is It?
A ketogenic diet involves avoiding foods with a high glycemic index. They are easily absorbed by the body and give it almost no energy. Fat deposits begin to break down to replenish their reserves, resulting in a person losing weight reasonably quickly. This process is called ketosis. Starvation can have a similar effect, but there are high health risks. The ketogenic diet is not harmful if you approach the development of the menu correctly.
The effectiveness of the keto diet menu has been confirmed for a long time. On average, you can lose 1 kg per week. This figure is individual, different for different people.
At the beginning of weight loss, it may seem that diet harms health due to the manifestation of some unpleasant symptoms. However, they disappear entirely over time as the body gets used to the new regime. Unlike fasting weight loss regimens, a ketogenic diet is safe and has no long-term effects.
To understand that the process of ketosis in the body has started, you need to pay attention to the following signs:
- the smell of acetone from the mouth (fruity aroma may appear);
- exhaustion (when a person gets used to the new diet, the tone will be restored, and fatigue will disappear);
- weight loss;
- frequent urge to urinate;
- gastrointestinal disorders;
In addition to obvious signs, the beginning of the ketosis process can be learned by laboratory methods. For this purpose, it is necessary to take a blood and urine test. The level of ketone bodies will be elevated.
Despite all the benefits, the ketogenic diet has many contraindications. If you have them, it is better to choose another way to lose weight:
- liver disease;
- low blood pressure;
- rehabilitation period after a heart attack;
- gastrointestinal disorders;
- panic attacks and anxiety;
- Gilbert’s syndrome.
In addition, it is not recommended for women to follow a keto diet during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Keto Diet Benefits
Despite skeptics claiming that a keto diet can cause irreparable damage to health, it has many benefits. Such a diet can be harmful only if you do not follow the basic principles and eat foods that do not suit you. If you approach the ketogenic diet wisely and understand what is better to eat for beginners, you will be able to achieve this goal. The diet:
- reduces appetite when compared with other types of diet menus;
- quickly satisfies the feeling of hunger even in conditions of limited calories;
- reduces the risk of developing diabetes;
- restores the endocrine system;
- helps to normalize metabolismпо;
- has an anticonvulsant effect and often recommended for epilepsy;
- is good prevention and treatment of acne;
- reduces the level of “bad” cholesterol;
- strengthening the nervous system.
All side effects last from a few days to a few weeks, and the result will last a long time. A ketogenic diet can be followed for a long time without harming health.
Keto Diet Varieties
Depending on the goals a person sets for himself, you can choose the most appropriate diet. So, here are the most popular types of the ketogenic diet:
- Standard (SKD). This diet comprises 70-80% fat, 20-25% protein, and 5-10% carbohydrates – up to 50 g per day.
- Cyclic (CKD). It is considered a “lighter” option than the standard one. It recommends eating according to the “5 + 2” scheme, i.e., 5 days a week, you need to follow a strict diet, and for the remaining 2 days, you can eat up to 400-500 g of carbohydrates. This keto diet is especially suitable for beginners.
- Target (TKD). It is followed mainly by athletes and people who lead an active lifestyle. You consume large amounts of carbohydrates before training (1-1.5 hours before exercise). In essence, it is a combination of a standard and a cyclic ketogenic diet.
- With a large amount of protein (HPKD). It differs because the amount of protein should be about 35% of the total diet. The amount of fats and carbohydrates is 60% and 5%, respectively.
You can select the best option and menu only after getting acquainted with the types of the keto diet. You can start with a standard or cyclic diet and then move on to other types of diet.
What Can You Eat On A Keto Diet?
The essence of a ketogenic diet is to eat foods with a low glycemic index that contain a minimum amount of carbohydrates and are quickly absorbed. The menu depends on many factors – the level of physical activity, health, tolerability of certain products, exercise regime, etc. If you lead an active lifestyle and exercise a lot, the number of calories consumed daily can increase.
The keto diet is, first of all, a good and simple food. It is best to base your recipes on proper nutrition on products that do not contain carbohydrates. Among them are:
- fish, such as salmon, tuna, and cod;
- meat and poultry without fat restrictions;
- butter, animal fat, coconut, and avocado oil;
- sauces that do not contain starch and sugar.
You can supplement your diet with products with 25% carbohydrate content. When dieting, you can eat:
- fermented milk products;
Teas, decaffeinated coffee, and mineral water are allowed. Alternatively, you can enjoy protein shakes for sports nutrition or make smoothies.
What Foods Are Prohibited On A Ketogenic Diet?
If you plan to follow the principles of the keto diet, you should read the list of products that are strictly prohibited:
- most fruits;
- packaged juices;
- flour products;
All these foods contain a lot of carbohydrates, so if you do not give them up, a ketogenic diet will not give the desired result.
Keto Diet And Sweets – How To Combine?
Sugar on a ketogenic diet is forbidden, but there is a way out – beneficial low-calorie Green Leaf sweeteners. Stevia and erythritol are made only from natural ingredients, so they do not harm the body. In addition, they have a zero glycemic index, which makes sweeteners an ideal addition to the keto diet, diversifying the daily menu and making it sweeter.
Erythritol and Green Leaf sweet stevia do not become toxic when heated, so you can regularly add them to tea, coffee, and other hot drinks. They do not change the taste of ready meals thanks to modern production technologies, so sweeteners are suitable for baking, sauces, chocolate, ice cream, yogurt, etc.
In addition, stevia and Green Leaf erythritol have many other favorable properties:
- help to lose weight quickly due to lack of calories;
- do not provoke peaks in blood glucose levels;
- normalize blood pressure in hypertension;
- strengthen tooth enamel and protect against caries;
- help to stay beautiful due to the positive effect on nails, hair, and skin;
- strengthen the immune system;
- strengthen vessel walls;
- do not cause allergic reactions, so they are allowed even for children;
- restore the intestinal microflora after infectious diseases and antibiotics;
- stimulate mental activity;
- normalize metabolic processes;
- help to recover after exercises.
Our sweeteners are extracted from natural components – stevia leaves and corn cobs (erythritol). Due to their natural composition and valuable properties, Green Leaf products have been a firm leader in the market for many years.
You can get acquainted with our products in the “Shop” section of the site. We have many offers for both confectionery manufacturers and private consumers. Our products are suitable for everyone without exception, even diabetics, pregnant and lactating women, children, and those who follow a diet. Erythritol and stevia have no contraindications and side effects. You can buy stevia without leaving home and use it without fear.
You can place an order online directly on the website or by phone by contacting the manager. We promptly process all orders, so orders placed before 3:30 pm on weekdays are sent to the buyer on the same day. We carry out delivery across all territories of Ukraine.
Green Leaf sweeteners are a massive step toward a healthy future. If you are for a healthy lifestyle, order healthy stevia right now, and your life will be sweeter!