Often the period of pregnancy and breastfeeding (BF) is associated with many deprivations for the mother. This also applies to nutrition. Everyone has heard that during pregnancy and breastfeeding, a woman should not eat allergens, fast food, products with flavors and other harmful additives. But what if the expectant mother is an inveterate sweet tooth? The answer is simple: find a healthy alternative to sugar. For example, stevia during pregnancy and breastfeeding will not only do no harm to the baby, but will also help maintain health in order. If you are a sweet tooth expecting a baby, read our material further. We will talk about the most useful sweeteners and their main properties.
Is it possible to use a sweetener during pregnancy? Properties of synthetic sweeteners
Many argue that it is impossible to eat sweets during pregnancy, even if you use sugar substitutes. But this judgment is true only if we talk about synthetic sweeteners such as aspartame, saccharin or cyclamate. They can really harm the body:
- The use of many synthetic sweeteners during pregnancy can increase blood pressure. This condition is dangerous to a pregnant woman and can complicate the process of childbirth.
- If the sweetener is not calorie-free, it can lead to weight gain. During pregnancy, excessive weight can harm the baby and adversely affect the well-being of the expectant mother.
- Often sugar substitutes contain substances that can cause allergies. It can manifest itself in both the mother and the baby.
- There are synthetic sweeteners that contain carcinogens. They can provoke the formation of tumors. Such products should not be consumed by anyone, not only pregnant women.
Some substances are able to penetrate the placental barrier. They accumulate in the tissues of the fetus and can lead to serious developmental abnormalities. Such sugar substitutes during pregnancy are strictly prohibited.
Can pregnant women take stevia?
The situation is quite different with natural sweeteners. In order not to deny yourself sweets during pregnancy and lactation, you should buy erythritol or stevia from Green Leaf. Our products are absolutely safe for pregnant women and children, as they contain only the “right” components. Besides, they are also very tasty, as they taste similar to sugar.
We make sweeteners from plant-based ingredients. Stevia is extracted from the leaves of the herb of the same name, which is popularly called honey grass. Erythritol is found in many fruits – grapes, pears, plums and others. It is obtained mainly from corn cobs.
Stevia for pregnant women is extremely beneficial. The main properties of Green Leaf sweeteners are as follows:
- With our products it is impossible to gain extra pounds, because they do not contain calories. Eating sweets with Green Leaf sweeteners, not only will you not gain weight, but will also be able to maintain an optimal weight.
- During pregnancy, the risk of developing diabetes increases, so the consumption of sweets should be limited. This does not apply to stevia, since the sweetener has a zero glycemic index and, accordingly, does not increase blood glucose levels. Green Leaf stevia can be regularly added to drinks and desserts in place of sugar. Therefore, many choose our sweeteners as sugar substitutes for diabetics.
- Dental problems are another sore point for pregnant women. Stevia strengthens tooth enamel, prevents its destruction and protects against caries.
- Our sweet stevia also helps in the fight against edema. It is able to remove excess fluid from the body and relieve swelling that almost all pregnant women face.
- Green Leaf stevia is recommended for hypertensive patients, as it has the ability to lower blood pressure to normal levels. The sweetener does not provoke hypertension and, accordingly, complications during childbirth.
- During the period of bearing a child, a woman’s body often does not receive enough nutrients. Stevia has a beneficial effect on the condition of the skin, hair and nails, so it allows you to remain beautiful both during pregnancy and in the postpartum period.
- Our sweeteners do not become toxic when heated. They can be safely added to pastries and any hot drinks.
- Green Leaf stevia helps to cope with gastrointestinal tract disorders. It can improve the functioning of the digestive tract, and also helps to normalize metabolism.
- With stevia, immunity decrease during pregnancy will no longer be a problem. Our sweetener strengthens the immune system and activates the body’s defenses.
- Green Leaf sweet stevia will help you bounce back after a hard day, restore strength after a long walk and give you a boost of energy.
Among other things, stevia, like any other “yummy”, can improve mood, tune in to good thoughts, normalize the psycho-emotional background, and relieve stress. And we all know that positive emotions are one of the most important factors affecting the calm course of pregnancy.
Our sweeteners do not have a teratogenic effect, that is, they do not affect the unborn child in any way. Stevia for pregnant women is not suitable only if the woman has an individual intolerance. As statistics show, such cases are very rare. If such a situation occurs, before using the product, you should consult your gynecologist.
Stevia while breastfeeding
The harms and benefits of stevia during breastfeeding also raises many questions. Numerous studies have confirmed that the product is completely harmless, so there is no reason to doubt its beneficial effect on the body of a breastfeeding mother.
We have already mentioned the main benefits of Green Leaf stevia above. In addition, stevia while breastfeeding:
- gives the body energy, which so necessary for a woman after the birth of a child;
- helps to diversify the dietary menu, which is recommended to be followed in the first months of a baby’s life;
- restores the body exhausted by pregnancy and childbirth, filling it with vitamins and other useful substances;
- normalizes the work of the digestive and cardiovascular systems;
- helps to lose weight and get back in shape.
Beside that, Green Leaf stevia gives a positive attitude, which makes it easier to overcome all the difficulties of motherhood. Your favorite cookie or ice cream is a great mood lifter. And if the mother is in a good mood, then the child will feel great and remain calm.
Where to order Green Leaf sweeteners?
If you are looking for a sugar substitute while breastfeeding or during pregnancy, check out our range in the Shop section. We present only natural sweeteners – stevia and erythritol – in different packaging. In addition to the classic options, here you will find stevia with cinnamon and vanilla, which is perfect for fragrant airy baking.
We control the production process at every stage, so we guarantee high quality and safety of our products. Green Leaf sweeteners have all necessary ISO certifications. Place an order right now, and we will deliver it to any corner of Ukraine.